Undercover

So I haven't posted a review in a while, well just to let you know I'm back. This is my first review post in a few weeks, but I'm going to make sure the next one I don't take forever to post. The book I've recently read is Undercover by Beth Kephart.

About and Thoughts on Book:

Like a modern-day Cyrano de Bergerac, Elisa ghostwrites love notes for the boys in her school. But when Elisa falls for Theo Moses, things change fast. Theo asks for verses to court the lovely Lila—a girl known for her beauty, her popularity, and a cutting ability to remind Elisa that she has none of these. At home, Elisa's father, the one person she feels understands her, has left on an extended business trip. As the days grow shorter, Elisa worries that the increasingly urgent letters she sends her father won't bring him home. Like the undercover agent she feels she has become, Elisa retreats to a pond in the woods, where her talent for ice-skating gives her the confidence to come out from under cover and take center stage. But when Lila becomes jealous of Theo's friendship with Elisa, her revenge nearly destroys Elisa's ice-skating dreams and her plan to reunite her family.
From B&N

So I really enjoyed reading this book. I loved the way the author wrote it. Some of her descriptions made me feel like I was there. It only took me a few hours to read it. I should of known I would like it, because after I had finished reading it I realized I had read a book by Beth Kephart before. I had really liked that book as well. I like her style and how she uses a lot of descriptions. Even with that there were parts of this book that I didn't like. For instance the ending. I didn't like it at all. I should know by now that endings will not always go the way I want them to. The guy will not always get the girl, and the girl will not always end up with the guy I think she should.

I personally loved reading the poems that Elisa would write. I didn't like that she would write these poems for guys, and seemed to just do it for nothing. She just gave the poem to them to help them out, but never asked for something in return. I liked that she didn't expect a favor in return that she was not someone who expected something from everyone all the time. I didn't like that guys used her to help them get a girl to go out with them. I was happy that Theo didn't act like he didn't know her, but it seemed like he did when his girlfriend was around. I didn't understand why he liked Lila. Again,  this is something I should of realized, that what guys do doesn't always make sense. A lot of things don't always make sense lol.

So for this one I rate it: LK - Liked it. It wouldn't hurt you to read it, but it wouldn't kill you if you didn't. I still think you'd be missing out if you didn't.


Oh and in other news:
In case you haven't read my other post, I am extending my contest to July 30th. So if you're going to come up with your fantasy character cast or if you're going to enter at all you still have time. I also will be doing my next From My Bookshelf, but I'm changing the day that I will be doing that post to Thursday. Tomorrow or next Thursday will be the first post since more than 2 weeks ago. I think that is everything. I may be doing something new. Who knows what? I do know that I'm moving in at Clemson in a month and a day. Yippee!!!

Alisha

Comments

Alison Can Read said…
What a cool concept...ghostwriting love letters. Sounds like a fun, well-written book.

Popular Posts