Beautiful Creatures

So I had promised I would post more and that didn't work out, and I'm sorry for that. I truly am. So I do have a book review to post now about Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl.

About and Thoughts on Book:
There were no surprises in Gatlin County
We were pretty much the epicenter of the middle of nowhere.
At least, that's what I thought.
Turns out, I couldn't have been more wrong.
There was a curse.
There was a girl.
And in the end, there was a grave.




Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she's struggling to conceal her power and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever.
Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town's oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them.
In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything.
From B&N

Well when I first started reading this book it took me a while to get into it. I don't know why, it's a extremely good book. It just starts off slower than expected. Ethan is an interesting character. He believes that he's different than every other person in his small town. He knows that one day he will get out of Gatlin and leave all of the small town life behind, unlike everyone else who he thinks is stuck there. He believes all of this will happen until he meets Lena. The mysterious girl who everyone knows will never fit in with them. She's outcast as soon as she arrives. I think this shows the small mindedness of the people of Gatlin. They can't accept someone who's not like them. To begin with it seemed like they just didn't like her because she was Old Man Ravenwood's niece. Then they start blaming anything bad that happens at school on her. And maybe it is her fault. She does have these amazing powers that she can't always control. Even with everyone else hating Lena, Ethan can't stay away from her. He also may be the only one that can help her with a curse that has haunted Lena's family for over a century. 

After getting past the slower parts, which was before Lena and Ethan started hanging out, I couldn't put this book down. I liked that this wasn't another typical supernatural book. Castors, not witches, are the main paranormal beings in this book. They all have their own power and not all of them are good, which is to be expected. I can't wait till I can get my hands on the next book, Beautiful Darkness. I know it's already out. I just haven't had the time to buy it or go to the library and find out if they have it.

Overall I give this book:
LI - Loved It! It's a definite read! You should grab this book before it goes running off the shelf!

Comments

Popular Posts