The Hunger Games

So my friend and I decided to do our own book club and this is the first book we chose to read. It's The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.

About and Thoughts on The Book:


In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV. Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she is forced to represent her district in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before-and survival.


From B&N


Katniss lives in the poorest district of Panem, District 12. Out of the 74 years that the Hunger Games have been going on, District 12 has only had two winners. Maybe it's time for that to change. The Capitol has everything while all the districts are poor and have to give over the coal they mine, food they harvest, and clothes they make to the Capitol. It's punishment for the Rebellion that also wiped out District 13. The Hunger Games are another way they make sure there is not ever another rebellion. They take one girl and one boy each year and make them fight to the death all to the Capitol's enjoyment. They show the districts that this is what happens when you go against the Capitol. They take your children, and there's little chance they'll return. All Katniss thinks when she takes her sister's place is that she doesn't want to lose her sister. She'd rather die than Prim. Yet maybe she has a chance. Before the games even start she shows that she's a contender not to be taken for granted. But there's also Peeta to worry about. They're suppose to act like teammates, but they both know that only one can win. 


What can I say about this book? Well I will tell you that I didn't want to read it when it first came out. I think it had something to do with what it was about. I have read futuristic books about North America being nothing like it is now, and I think when this book came out I decided I needed to get away from books like that. I should of read this book anyways. I didn't know what I was missing. I do know it's a trilogy and that I need to get the next two, yet there are 3+ holds on it at the library. I don't want to buy it because I'm trying to prove I don't have an addiction. So I will wait, if I can. When I first started to read this book, I knew it wasn't going to end well. It's about a fight to the death. How else would it end? Well there are many surprises in this book and you can always count on a twist. It is what the Gamemakers like to do. They can't stand a boring fight. I'm glad I was talked into reading this book finally. I found out there's going to be a movie, and I'm hoping it lives up to the book. So if you're like me and originally didn't want to read this book, than please go check it out. You never know maybe you'll end up really liking it. I did. I'm not saying it's for everyone. That's not the case at all. Maybe some people don't like reading about teenagers killing each other. And honestly I don't, but it's the rest of the story that helps to make it so good. So don't leave this one off your to be read list, you never know what you'll be missing out on. 


Alisha

Comments

Popular Posts