If You Come Softly

I have just finished reading If You Come Softly by Jacqueline Woodson. I checked it out a while ago, but have just gotten to it last night. I read till at least two in the morning.

About and Thoughts on Book:
Jeremiah is confident about who he is -- that is, when he's in his own Brooklyn neighborhood. But when he starts attending a fancy prep school in Manhattan, he realizes that black teenage boys don't exactly fit in there. So it's a surprise when, during his first week of school, he feels an immediate connection with a white girl named Ellie. In one frozen moment their eyes lock, and after that they know they belong together -- despite the fact that she's Jewish and he's black. Their worlds are so different, but to them that's not what matters. Too bad the rest of the world feels differently.
From B&N


I feel I can relate to the characters in this book, at least in some aspects. I am biracial, just like Jeremiah's best friend Carlton. My mother is white and my father is black. I've grown up in a predominantly white, small town.  I don't really know the other side of me. I like to think there is no difference, but I know there is. I tend to take people as the they are as a person, like Jeremiah and Ellie want to, and not judge them by their skin tone. I've been viewed differently  for mine for years, I don't want to do the same to other people. I strayed away from the book, and I didn't mean to, I just wanted to show how I relate too it.
This book is a love story, but also so much more. It's not just about first love between a boy and girl. It's about facing fears and going against the norm for, well, love. It's also about acceptance. It's very moving. I wanted Ellie and Jeremiah to work out. I wanted others to except them, especially their families. I didn't want to cry but I did. I want give away why, I don't want to spoil it for people who have yet to read this great book. Overall, it's one of the best books I've read.

Alisha

Comments

Popular Posts