From my Bookshelf(1)


So I have decided to start my own little thing. I feel I'm not posting enough, so I'm starting a weekly thing. From My Bookshelf is going to be a post I do every Tuesday or Wednesday. I'll be reviewing each week a book that I own, love, and have never reviewed. So that does leave out some books that I have recently bought, read, and reviewed which include Hush, Hush and Beastly and many others. I guess this is my own little meme. I'm sure there are others out there who do posts like this, but I felt I needed something more to my blog. I wanted to write about the books I probably wouldn't of written about because I read them before I started my blog. This gives me a chance to do that, to tell you about some of my all time favorites. The pictures on each one of these posts are of my actual bookshelf. So for the first post for From My Bookshelf, it's Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson.

About and Thoughts on Book:
Melinda Sordino busted an end-of-summer party by calling the cops. Now her old friends won't talk to her, and people she doesn't even know hate her from a distance. The safest place to be is alone, inside her own head. But even that's not safe. Because there's something she's trying not to think about, something about the night of the party that, if she let it in, would blow her carefully constructed disguise to smithereens. And then she would have to speak the truth.
From B&N

As I have stated in my review of Wintergirls, Laurie Halse Anderson is my favorite author. So I thought it would be best if I talked about one of her books in the first post for From My Bookshelf. Speak was actually the book that got me into reading Laurie Halse Anderson books. I must admit, I saw the movie before I read the book. It's one of the few that I have done that with. When it was published in 1999, I was not reading books like Speak. I was seven and was still reading some books with pictures haha. So can you blame me if it took me nine years to finally read it?
To tell you the truth, the book is way better than the movie. Aren't they always? The movie stars Kristen Stewart, and she's actually really good in it. I just usually prefer the book over the movie.

Melinda is the outcast now at school. She called the cops at a party over the summer and now everyone hates her. Her best friends desert her. I don't understand why they didn't ask her why she did it. Maybe then they would of understood, but I'm not sure Melinda could of told them then. The one new friend Melinda makes in the beginning is new and doesn't know about the party to begin with. She only seems to make friends with Melinda because she's the first person she meets, and she wanted someone to boss around. She's the worst friend you could ask for. Melinda makes awkward situations funny with her sarcasm and how witty she is. Laurie Halse Anderson writes this book really well. It was her first novel and one of her best ever. In my opinion it's a book that anyone should read and one you won't forget. I know the exact date I read this book(because it was when I use to write that in the book), July 12, 2008, and I still remember it well. I had also written down how much I loved it and that it was one the best books I have ever read. Whenever I am asked what my favorite book is, I can never say just one, but this one is always one I say. It's close to the top of the list, even nearly two years later. As I wrote close to two years ago, "simply put, I love it!"

So I hope you liked my first post for my new thing or meme. I hope you look forward to more, like I look forward to writing more.

Alisha

Comments

Elle said…
Great post, sounds like it's going to be a fun feature! I still haven't read Speak though, or any other book by Laurie Halse Anderson for that matter. The reason partly being I read Just Listen and many tell the books are very similar. Maybe I will watch the movie next. It's really cool you know the exact date of when you read it!
Hannah Stoneham said…
This sounds like a lovely idea for a feature. thanks for sharing

Hannah
Darlyn said…
Hi Alisha!I believe this is my 1st time visiting your blog ;p Like it.And the book you highlighted sounds pretty interesting =)

Popular Posts