From My Bookshelf(2)

So this is a new weekly thing I decided to start doing on my blog. What it involves is me basically reviewing a book that I might of not done because I haven't read it recently. I tend to just talk about books I have finished this year for a goal of mine. That leaves out a lot of great books I have read over the years. So most of the books I will be talking about on either Tuesday or Wednesday, will be just like the title says, from my bookshelf.  They're books that I own, love, and tend to put down on my favorites list. I also may have read them a few years ago. I believe I have enough of these books to keep this thing going for a while. I also decided to add something more to it than what I do with my regular reviews. So for this week the book is Willow by Julia Hoban. Sorry this one is late. My Internet has been down the past few days.

About and Thoughts on Book:
Seven months ago, on a rainy March night, sixteen-year- old Willow's parents drank too much wine and asked her to drive them home. They never made it—Willow lost control of the car and her parents died in the accident. Now she has left behind her old home, friends, and school, and blocks the pain by secretly cutting herself. But when Willow meets Guy, a boy as sensitive and complicated as she is, she begins an intense, life-changing relationship that turns her world upside down.
From B&N

First Paragraph:
Maybe it's just a scratch. 
  Willow Randall stares at the girl seated opposite her. Some might notice the girl because she is pretty. Others because of the flaming red hair. If the guys in the class were looking, they would see that the outline of her bra is clearly visible beneath her shirt. But Willow's eyes are riveted by something else: an angry red welt, about three inches long, that runs from the girl's elbow to her wrist. If Willow squints hard enough she can just about make out a few flecks of dried blood.

So I've noticed that other people have been talking about this book, and so I felt I should say what I thought about it. I read it nearly a year ago during the summer, which is when I read the most. It's one of the best books I read that year, or ever. For that reason, I thought it would be the best book to talk about for my second From My Bookshelf. This is such a powerful book. I recently read Cut, and it's about the same thing, but no one knows that Willow cuts herself. Only Guy finds out. Guy is such a sweetheart. He's a great guy, and tries to help Willow out. I wanted Willow to tell her brother, I wanted her to realize what she was doing was not helping herself. It's a really well written book, and I think anybody that has been through something that was hard on them should read this book. It's a book I actually reread, and will probably read it again and again.

Sorry my thoughts weren't very long. I'm kind of busy, and I thought I wouldn't even be able to write this. I'll make sure to get next week's in on time.

Alisha

Comments

Popular Posts