Hex Hall

I am once again back to normal and am reading as much as before. Hopefully if I can keep this up, I will read all the books I want to before the end of the year. So this one is Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

About and Thoughts on Book:
Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father-an elusive European warlock-only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.
By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.
As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her.
 From B&N

So originally I didn't really want to read this book. I had read the synopsis and a review someone else wrote, and it made me feel I had read something else like it. I don't know what brought me to actually read it. It could of been that it was the book to read for this month in the online book club I'm a part of over on B&N, but I had actually decided not to join in on the discussion for this one. I think what really got me to read it was that it was at my library, and I just felt I should give it a shot. I was actually impressed my library had a book that came out more recently. They are vastly improving.

Anyways, my thoughts about the book were proven right. It was a lot like other paranormal books I have read. Even something I read about what happens in the book between the main girl, Sophie, and her crush, Archer, felt like I had actually read it before. I thought the fact that he had a B(you know what I mean) for a girlfriend, who hated Sophie, did not seem overly original. Even with that, I did like some parts of the book. It seems like every other book out there, but some parts were actually pretty original. The fact that witches in this book were not like I expected them to be, was something I didn't expect. Also there were plot twists that I also didn't expect, which I think is to be expected. It seems to happen in every book. I liked Sophie's sense of humor, probably because I'm a lot like that. The ending of chapters were always open ended, making it where I kept reading it, which made me finish in one night. I also liked the relationship between Sophie and her new friend, Jenna. I thought the fact that Sophie managed to make enemies with the supposedly most powerful girls in school, wasn't new, but it added to the story, and they also didn't seem as bad as you might think. I still say that if you like paranormal then you will probably like this book, but don't get overly thrilled about it. I am actually going to continue to read the series because I actually do want to know what happens.

Alisha

Comments

Katelyn said…
Great review Alisha, I read this book a while back and was a fan, I had fun with it and hopefully the sequel will draw you in some more!

Popular Posts